While I love Superbowl Sunday, I have to admit that Oscar Sunday is right up there with it. It is our last chance for a little while to see all the beautiful gowns on our favourite actors and actresses, and you get to see all the movies you need to add to the must see list. This year I have done a slightly better job than most years at seeing some of the nominated films, so scroll down for my completely biased selections on who should win this year.
But let’s be honest, I tune in for the pre-game show here the most. Who’s gowns are you most looking forward to seeing come down the red carpet?
Note* click any of the links to learn more about the actors, movies etc.
Best Picture: My pick is The Decendents - let’s be honest, everyone loves George, and this movie was so moving not to mention set in Hawaii, it’s a definite winner in my book. I did also love The Help and Moneyball, and Midnight in Paris was classic Woody Allen, so all would be great picks to win. Which one is your pick?
- The Artist
- The Descendants
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
- The Help
- Midnight in Paris
- The Tree of Life
- War Horse
Best Actor: Again, sticking with The Decendants and George Clooney for me, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Jean Dujardin sneaks in and takes this one.
- Demián Bichir – A Better Life as Carlos Galindo
- George Clooney – The Descendants as Matt King
- Jean Dujardin – The Artist as George Valentin
- Gary Oldman – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as George Smiley
- Brad Pitt – Moneyball as Billy Beane
Best Actress: I think Meryl will take this one, because she seems to be able to do no wrong, but my pick would have to be Viola Davis. She was so wonderful and brought her character to life in The Help, I really hope she takes this one home.
- Glenn Close – Albert Nobbs as Albert Nobbs
- Viola Davis – The Help as Aibileen Clark
- Rooney Mara – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as Lisbeth Salander
- Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady as Margaret Thatcher
- Michelle Williams – My Week with Marilyn as Marilyn Monroe
Best Supporting Actor: I haven’t seen most of the performances in this category, but I am going with Christopher Plummer – and after his acceptance speech at the Golden Globes, I would imagine almost every other woman is too, just to hear what other beautiful words he has to say about his wife.
- Kenneth Branagh – My Week with Marilyn as Laurence Olivier
- Jonah Hill – Moneyball as Peter Brand
- Nick Nolte – Warrior as Paddy Conlon
- Christopher Plummer – Beginners as Hal Fields
- Max von Sydow – Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close as The Renter
Best Supporting Actress: I am sticking with The Help here too and my pick is Octavia Spencer. Her portrayal of Minny Jackson in The Help was so special, and you can’t argue with all of the other awards she has racked up this year. However, wild card pick would be Melissa McCarthy, for obvious reasons if you have seen Bridemaids, and because she just seems so genuinely happy to be apart of it all.
- Bérénice Bejo – The Artist as Peppy Miller
- Jessica Chastain – The Help as Celia Foote
- Melissa McCarthy – Bridesmaids as Megan Price
- Janet McTeer – Albert Nobbs as Hubert Page
- Octavia Spencer – The Help as Minny Jackson
Best Director: I don’t have a good handle on this one, so sticking with The Descendents, since usually best picture and best director go hand in hand.
Do tell, who are your picks this year???