While sometimes it seems easier to pick up the pre packaged version of some of your favourite items, I always remember why fresh is better when I take the time to make something from scratch. This bruschetta is a perfect example, it took about five minutes to whip this up, and it was infinitely tastier and more satisfying than the store-bought kind. So while it may be a “basic” recipe, it definitely contains maximum flavour and satisfaction. I hope it inspires you to make something from scratch the next time you have a few minutes to spare, I know it has for me!
What are some other basic recipes you like to make on your own instead of the store-bought version?
You will need:
- Fresh tomatoes (whatever is in season is best)
- 1/2 fresh onion
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 bunch fresh basil chopped
- chopped green/black olives (optional, I made 2 versions, 1 with and 1 without)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Italian bread or baguette